Thank you for considering BCA’s Ireland summer program! I hope that you will choose to partake in this incredible study abroad experience. The beautiful campus of Maynooth University, with its 19th-century gardens and courtyards, criss-crossed by stunning Harry-Potteresque university buildings, is an ideal location to spend a summer. This university town offers a pace of life which allows you to sample the “real Ireland,” where people have time to chat and where there are no strangers, “only friends waiting to be introduced.” I hope to see you in Ireland soon!
- Dr. Kieran Doyle, BCA Dublin Resident Director
CULTURAL ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
- Our summer program in Ireland is perfect if you’re unable fit studying abroad into your academic year but still want to experience studying abroad in Europe! Spend a month taking courses and connecting to Irish culture.
- Break free of the traditional, touristy study abroad locations by living in Maynooth, Ireland, a quaint Irish community known as the only college town in Ireland. Take independent trips to Dublin which is only a short train or bus ride away.
- Fulfill requirements toward your degree when you enroll in two Maynooth University courses from a variety of subject areas.
Possible BCA excursions and cultural activities…
- Cork: Obtain the gift of gab (great eloquence or skill at flattery) by kissing the Blarney Stone at the Blarney Castle in your travels to Cork! Then journey into the heart of Cork, a youthful and cosmopolitan city.
- Galway: Roam the streets of Galway, one of Ireland’s liveliest cities. Stop at the stone-clad cafés, boutiques and art galleries that line the winding lanes of the Latin Quarter.
- Cliffs of Moher: Stand on the edge of Ireland – the most western point of the country. See for yourself how time, the ocean and weather formed the cliffs’ shapes and unique formations, and enjoy the wildlife.
Each summer, Maynooth University hosts more than 120 students. The majority of the summer students are from abroad, but there are a few Irish students as well, so you can gain a unique perspective from both local and international students. Each class includes at least one field trip giving you the opportunity to venture beyond the classroom and visit sites relevant to your course material. You’ll select two courses to take this summer from a variety of subject areas. On BCA’s website, you can find up-to-date course listings and descriptions for the upcoming summer.
Maynooth University is regularly identified as Ireland’s friendliest campus in national and international polls. Throughout the summer, the university runs weekly activities such as archery, ultimate Frisbee, trampolining and trivia night giving you the chance to connect with local and international students. You can also step out of your comfort zone and participate in traditional Irish activities such as Gaelic football and Ceili, a traditional Irish dance. As a university town, Maynooth is known for its warm and friendly nature, welcoming new students and residents from all over the world.
Dublin is the capital of Ireland and it’s known as one of the most fast-paced, youthful cities in Europe. Whether it’s Irish music, classical literature, lively pubs or famous theaters, Dublin has something for everyone. You can visit dozens of art galleries and museums, and enjoy the vibrant, cultural scene that makes Dublin a beautiful place to live and visit. Dublin is a UNESCO City of Literature — famous writers and playwrights have left their mark on Dublin, including William Butler Yeats, Seamus Heaney, Oscar Wilde and more. Many famous actors also got their start in Dublin, including Colin Farrell and Gabriel Byrne.
Just beyond the western edge of the city of Dublin is Maynooth, a small, historic town with a population of only 8,500 people. Serving as a university town, Maynooth is a traditional Irish village that remains full of character, culture and education. The Maynooth University campus is known for its sprawling green space and modern amenities, making it a peaceful, top-notch educational facility. With its close proximity to Dublin but the right amount of separation, Maynooth is a peaceful town for residents and visitors to make their home.
Summer: March 15
Early July - Late July (4 weeks)
Language of Instruction:
Shared University-provided accommodations